Recipe by dalamy
The first time I ate this lasagna, I was trying to figure out what spices made this so unique! It has been my favorite ever since.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes or 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1⁄16 teaspoon allspice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (9 ounce) barilla rolled flat lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups kraft parmesan cheese
- 4 -6 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 18 barilla lasagna noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground chuck with onion. Drain off grease and add allspice and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, fennel, cinnamon, oregano, and basil. Stir until meat is well coated. Stir in tomato paste until meat is well coated. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Boil 18 of the noodles for 5 minutes just to soften. Drain and rinse with cold water. Lay flat on layered paper towels so the noodles do not stick together.
- Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, and ½ cup parmesan cheese.
- Spray a 15 x 11 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a small amount of sauce on bottom just to keep the noodles from sticking. Then layer in this order: 6 noodles, 1/3 of meat sauce, ½ of ricotta cheese mix, 1/3 cup of parmesan (sprinkle to cover), 1/3 of shredded cheese mix, 6 noodles, 1/3 of meat sauce, ½ of ricotta mixture, 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese(sprinkle to cover), 1/3 of shredded cheese, 6 noodles, 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/3 shredded cheese mix, and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (sprinkle to cover).
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until bubbly. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 additional minutes or until the cheese on top browns slightly.