Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup's secret ingredient -- an apple -- lends a touch of tangy sweetness that complements the curry's spice. It's low calorie, high fiber and delicious. Published in the January 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 1419.54 ml cauliflower, chopped (1 large head)
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 4.92 ml honey or 4.92 ml agave nectar
- 4.92 ml rice wine vinegar
- Saute onions in oil in large stock pot for 5-7 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add apple, curry powder and garlic and cook 2 minutes more or until curry powder turns deep yellow.
- Add cauliflower and vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cool 20 minutes then blend in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Stir in honey (or agave nectar) and vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
- Reheat or serve cool.
This was a very different dish for our house; however, it went over really well! DH was very apprehensive about this one but gave in and thought it was tasty, light, well balanced, and had subtle tasty flavors (tasty is his favorite word to describe food :) ). I was going to serve it with a couple slices of cauliflower on top but forgot when I was chopping them up so just threw a couple sauteed onions on there. Have to agree with Magpie Diner - the agave & vinegar really developed the flavor on this one. Thanks so much WICC!! Recipenap'd for Veggie Swap 23!
This soup surprised my tastebuds when I first tried it. We omitted the rice wine vinegar, as my DH cannot stand anything that tastes vinegary. He loved it. I added in celery seeds, salt, pepper and used our leftover mashed curry potatoes from the night before. I might have also been a bit heavy handed with the garlic and left the skin on the apple. I will make again!
This soup is fantastic! It is hearthy, thick and soo yummy! I loved the addition of the apple, it made the soup special without being very noticeable. The curry is a nice touch as is the vinegar. I left out the honey as my apple was of the sweet variety, but other than that stuck to your recipe and loved it!<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper here with us, WICC!<br/>Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #58 May 2013.