Recipe by Mirj
You won't believe how juicy and flavorful this golden bird is. The vanilla-tarragon combination is so subtle; no one will guess your secret ingredient. They'll just think it's the best chicken they've ever had! The fact that the chicken isn't sitting in the drippings lowers the calories. I put some carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms under the aluminum foil, and they came out great!
Top Review by sparky955
We kept saying, as we were stuffing our mouths with this wonderful bird, "You know, I didn't expect this to taste so good". Unusual in the best sense of the word, & how nice to not have falling-apart drippy chicken from a crock. Very cool recipe. Bless you for posting it.
- 2 -3 lbs whole chickens (cut into pieces or left whole)
- 1 garlic clove (small)
- 8 sprigs fresh tarragon (or less) or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped from
Directions See How It's Made
- Wad up three pieces of aluminum foil into fist-sized pieces and place them in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub inner cavity with garlic clove.
- With your fingers, gently loosen breast skin and insert a tarragon sprig under the skin of each breast.
- Stuff remaining sprigs in inner cavity and truss with kitchen twine.
- Rub the chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top of the foil.
- In a small bowl or cup measure, combine the broth and the vanilla.
- Pour over the chicken, into crock pot.
- Set crock pot to high for 1 hour then turn down to low for 8-10 hours.
- This turns out just like roasted chicken.
- The foil keeps it from cooking in its own juices, and the chicken browns just like you roasted it in the oven.