Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Although it looks complicated, using canned goods makes this a quick recipe, and it can simmer in a crockpot. The veggies add interesting texture. But the fun part is tasting the chili as it cooks to figure out which of the secret ingredients it needs...it never turns out the same way twice!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes (preferably seasoned)
- 1 can chili bean (with sauce)
- 1 can kidney bean (can substitute other beans)
- 1 can black beans (can substitute other beans)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- minced garlic or garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 dash vinegar (optional)
- 1 dash ketchup (optional)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- Brown ground beef in medium-hot skillet, adding some of the seasonings.
- While beef browns, sautee vegetables in separate pot on medium heat, adding 2 tsp of the beef drippings (or vegetable oil if desired).
- When beef is fully cooked, drain if desired.
- Stir crumbled cooked beef and remaining ingredients into the vegetables, reserving optional ingredients.
- Cook uncovered on low heat for a few hours (or in a crockpot with the lid"ajar"), stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces to desired consistency.
- Adjust taste frequently using secret ingredients.
- Enjoy with standard chili fare: cornbread, crusty bread, garlic bread, toast, baked potato, rice, etc.