Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
The secret ingredient is Italian salad dressing and the flavor it adds is wonderful. Comfort food at its best.
- 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups mini peeled carrots
- 1 medium green pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- In a big pot or dutch oven, brown meat in salad dressing. Add the next 9 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 hours or till meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, pepper and onion.
- Cover and simmer another hour or until veggies are tender. Combine flour and cold water in a shaker, stir into stew and bring to a boil till thickened. Serve.
This was nice although I would have liked it a little richer in flavour, I think some tomato paste would have made all the difference. I threw all the ingredients in the slow cooker and served it with rice for a simple dinner.
LOVED IT! I agree the Italian dressing added a very nice flavor. I browned the meat first then put all the ingredients in the crockpot at the same time and it turned out beautifully. Thank you for posting! Made for the Photo Forum's Crockpot Event, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.