Recipe by Scooter McGee
Enjoy this recipe of 13 ingredients and 13 steps to sheer bliss! With a proper pantry and pork on sale and green chile's out of the yard/freezer not only is this an inexpensive dish and very versatile but a sure crowd pleaser! This recipe is FOOLPROOF and is great on everything or just as is. PLEASE feel free to take what I have learned and share with family and friends. A few special notes. 1st off you will want to start this in a cast iron dutch oven and then transfer into crock-pot or slow cooker of your choice and allow to finish. This is not required but really does make this dish. I did this recipe side by side browning pork in one batch and the taste is very different! (MUCH, MUCH deeper and richer) I also do not use flour to brown pork nor do I use corn starch but if you feel it necessary its your recipe now!
Top Review by TampaItalian13
This is a five star Colorado green chili. The best I have every had..... With only 13 ingredients, it's easy to make. Rich and complex in flavors with not much effort. The addition of the chocolate is great in the chili or shaved on top.
- 2 lbs pork
- 1 lb green chili pepper (HATCH IN THIS CASE)
- 1 large onion
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 32 ounces beer (LAGER IS FINE, WATER IS FINE ALSO)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper sauce, i use chipotle (of choice)
- 10 ounces tomatoes (Ro-Tel Hot in this case with Habenaros)
- 2 ounces milk chocolate (Fun-Size hershey's bar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, seed, and dice (roughly 1/4 inch) roasted green chile's and set aside.
- Peel and dice onion to roughly same as chile's.
- In a 2-4 quart mixing bowl combine onions, chile's, Oregano, Pepper Flakes, Garlic, Hot sauce, and Cumin. Set aside.
- Place Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Brown Pork in small batches.
- Transfer to Crock-Pot or slow cooker of choice.
- Place Cast Iron BACK on burner (Time to get the goodies off the bottom!).
- Add Bowl of Onions, Chile's, Oregano, Pepper Flakes, Garlic, Hot Sauce, and Cumin to the cast iron.
- Stir, cover and wait 5 minute (DON'T PEEK!).
- Open and add Ro-Tel Tomatoes stir and cover 5 minute more. (DONT PEEK!).
- Open and add Beer, and Chili Powder. Stir, cover, and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Transfer cast iron contents/ingredients at this point to Crock-Pot.
- Cover ingredients with remaining Beer and Chicken Stock and on a cook on LOW setting for 6-8 hours.