Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
When I make a Roast Chicken, this soup is a favorite for the next day. I've had rave reviews from both friends and family on this flavorful soup. It's very flexible in that you can use whatever veggies, etc. you have on hand. I use different ingredients often, but the following is my basic recipe. All of the prep work (slicing carrots, potatoes, etc.) can be done while the broth is simmering, so time to make is the total cooking time plus the 15 min. to separate chicken from bones.
- leftover chicken piece (include bones and trimmings)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup barley or 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 lb frozen corn
- 2 -4 small potatoes, cut up into 1/2 in. cubes (optional)
- In 8 quart dutch oven (heavy pot), combine chicken & trimmings/bones, water, broth, boullion cubes, bay leaf, cream soup & seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover & simmer 90 minutes.
- Strain the soup to separate liquid from the chicken and bones. (this is the tricky part. What works for me is to pour the whole mixture into a large strainer over a large bowl. Then move the broth in the bowl back into the dutch oven.).
- Allow the chicken to cool a bit in the strainer, then separate the chicken from the bones, returning the chicken to the broth and discarding the bones, etc.
- Stir in barley or rice and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover & simmer 30 minutes.
- Add veggies & simmer an additional 25-30 minutes.
- *You can substitue or add other veggies, etc. A word of caution for noodles, though. While they taste great, they absorb a lot of the liquid, so leftovers end up with somewhat bloated noodles and not much broth. It still tastes nice, but doesn't look as appealing :-).
This is great soup. I just used some chicken breast I had on hand that I needed to use up. This was total comfort food for me. Our weather has been so cool lately and I was in the mood for something warm and soothing. This definately did the trick. Delicious, easy and warmed me up from the inside out. Loved it! Thank's for sharing!