Recipe by Miss V
A terrific meatloaf with tasty spices, from my favorite Jewish Deli in NYC, The Second Avenue Deli! It makes a delicious juicy meatloaf, You can add 1/2 lb ground pork if you like.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 cups onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped or crushed fresh)
- 1⁄2 green pepper (chopped into 1/4-inch pieces)
- 7 slices bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork (ground)
- 1⁄2 lb veal (chopped)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup parsley (fresh, chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary (fresh or dried crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground black)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat corn oil in a large skillet, and saute onions until light golden brown. Add garlic at the last minute, and brown quickly. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, and saute green peppers in remaining oil. Add to bowl, and refrigerate.
- Cut crusts off bread, cube and soften with water in a strainer. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly blend meats and bread, working them together with your hands lightly. Add onion-garlic- green pepper mixture and all the other ingredients, Blend thoroughly.
- Place mixture in a loaf pan and score a crisscross design along the top with a knife. Bake 50 minutes, pour off accumulated fat, add your favorite tomato sauce, and continue baking for 20 minutes more.