Recipe by jackie
To celebrate their new weekly Farmer's Market, Boston-based Sebastians Cafe & Catering has created a variety of summer recipes showcasing fresh and sustainable produce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 spring onions, washed, trimmed and diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, washed, dried well, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf Italian parsley, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in sauce pan. Add spring onions and sauté approx 3 - 4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute stirring constantly to prevent the garlic from browning too much.
- Add rice and gently stir into the oil and onion mixture for approx 1 minute being sure that all rice kernels are coated with oil. Add wine and simmer very gently until all of wine has been absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and bring to a light simmer. Stir only once to make sure rice is not stuck to the bottom. When stock has been absorbed add another cup. Repeat this process until all stock has been used. Test rice; if it is still slightly firm add a little more stock or water.
- Add herbs when there is approx 3 minutes left in the cooking process. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in cheese, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.