Recipe by Missy Wombat
A vegan recipe from 'Easy Vegan Cooking' by Leah Leneman. Soak time is not included.
Top Review by Roosie
Yellow split peas are dirt cheap in the bulk foods section of my health food co-op and I have been looking for ways to use them. This fit that bill pretty well! The last split pea soup I made, I ended up boiling the peas for HOURS and they still had hard cores- the soaking for these (I soaked mine for about 7 hours) really helped them soften up much faster. I just used several pieces of seaweed- one ounce would be a very large amount it seems to me, since dried seaweed weighs nearly nothing. I think I may have accidently bought kombu rather than wakame, but I read on a website that they are not too different to be used interchangably. I pureed about 3/4 of this, and it turned out really lovely- very golden from the yellow peas and the carrots. We did find that it needed a little something. I'm not really sure what it was, but we added a tsp or two of apple cider vinegar to give it a little more tang. I'm not sure if I liked the flavor the tahini gave it. I added 3 Tbs of shoyu and didn't find that I needed any salt. All-in-all, a nice very hearty soup and certainly a good way to get some of those oh-so-healthful sea veggies into your diet. We had it with grilled cheese (Grilled Cheese, Diner Style #108522, actually) and it was a nice hearty, stodgy meal. Thanks!
- 3⁄4 cup dried split peas
- 5 cups water
- 1 ounce wakame seaweed
- 2 onions
- 1⁄2 lb carrot
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- salt, to taste (optional)
- soy sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the split peas overnight.
- Drain and cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cover the wakame with cold water and leave to soak.
- Chop the carrot and onion finely.
- Drain and chop the wakame, discarding the tough centre.
- Add the seaweed, carrots and onion to the pot.
- Continue to simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the tahini and the soy sauce and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.