Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made this casserole last night and it turned out nice. My family did not care for the almonds in it, but I have included them here because I thought the crunch was nice. It's a bit of a different broccoli casserole, but enjoyable nonetheless.
- 3 lbs fresh broccoli, chopped broccoli or 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken stock powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 0.667 (8 ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 2⁄3 cup hot water
- Cook fresh broccoli in boiling, salted water until tender-crisp; drain and chop coarsely. (Cook frozen broccoli as directed on package, then drain). Make white sauce by blending 1/4 cup butter, flour, chicken stock base, and salt, then add milk and cook until thickened. Meanwhile, melt 6 tablespoons butter in 2/3 cup hot water and seasoning packet. Pour over stuffing mix in bowl. Add nuts and toss together. Turn broccoli into buttered 2 quart casserole. Pour white sauce over and top with stuffing. Press down slightly. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) for 20 to 25 minutes.