Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The severed finger look comes from the red chunky applesauce/apple strips and nuts. Not only are these very festive but low fat as well.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1 egg
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup applesauce (chunky)
- 1⁄8 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- sugar (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
- strawberry jam (optional)
- Use either candy applesauce which is already red or add enough red food coloring to achieve a "red" color.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients and then mix in the wet ingredients - making sure not to over mix.
- Spoon into a lightly greased muffin tin. You can also at this stage sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or lightly spoon strawberry jam on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.