Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe pits daughter against Mother. Sarah has a jam bar recipe as well ... and the winner is?
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4-1 cup jam or 3⁄4-1 cup jelly
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- Mix butter or margarine, sugar, vanilla, egg in medium bowl with hand mixer. Don’t over mix.
- Stir in flour and baking powder until dough forms.
- Pat evenly into pan.
- Spread jam or jelly on top of dough.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Top with powder sugar glaze.
These are super good. I thought that these tasted like the thumbprint cookies that I make for Christmas. But these are much easier. I used one cup of freezer jam and that just enough. I will be making these again. I'm thinking of making them for Valentine's day and using a heart cookie cutter to cut them with after they are completely cool.
These are very good jam bars! I've never had jam bars before but these are just wonderful. I used a very good quality triple berry jam and baked mine for 25 minutes. I think they would have been better at 20 minutes but it's hard to tell with the jam over it. I used a little over 3/4 cup jam to cover the whole crust. My family loved them and they were gone in no time! Thanks for sharing. Made for Gimme 5 tag.
These were wonderful. I had never had jam bars before. I loved the buttery cookie part, and used homemade muscodine grape jelly. I didn't do the glaze because I didn't have any powdered sugar on hand. I will do that next time. I'm thinking I will try them with plum jam or orange marmalade. Yum! Thanks!