Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This can be served as a main dish but is great on Italian bread or toasted hoagies. Oh, and here's a tip -- make sure you DON'T drain the meat before placing it on the rolls -- the liquid has an AWESOME taste, so make sure you get plenty of it on your sandwich for the best flavor. In Chicago they say "the wetter, the better" when it comes to Italian Beef Sandwiches!!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 -3 cups water or 2 -3 cups broth
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix
- 5 lbs rump roast or 5 lbs chuck roast
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1 green pepper, sliced (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, water, parsley, garlic powder, water, bay leaf and salad dressing mix. Stir well and bring just to a boil.
- Place roast in a slow cooker and pour mixture over the roast. cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hrs on low or high for 4-5 hours.
- The best thing to do is to have it cook in the slow cooker until it is cooked through, remove the bay leaf, then shredd it and return it to the juice for about an hour.
- Optional - Last 45 minutes add boullion cubes and green pepper. If you use broth instead of water don't add the bouillon cubes.
- Serve on Italian bread.
Made this for a pool party and it was a hit!! I did the beef broth version but I would definitely do the least amount of liquid. After 10 hours there was a lot of liquid from the meat so I felt it diluted the flavor, plus there is still plenty of gravy. Seemed biggest complaint on reviews was being too salty so I substituted the onion salt with onion powder and used low sodium beef broth. Don't use beef broth from can, as I think it has a tin flavor, use the box kind. Added peppers and sliced onion three hours before serving, delicious!! Also I doubled the recipe using 8 1/2 lb roast but again ease up on broth or water.
So flavorful! The beef fell apart in the crock pot, and the au jus was amazing! I added sliced onions, red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, and half of a jar of sweet banana peppers about an hour before it was done cooking. I also made homemade hoagie buns to serve it on, which were great! (Pammy's Hoagies #161440) Thank you! We will definitely be making this again!
Excellent! Just what I was looking for. I didn't have any nice crusty rolls so made a pot of white rice to serve it over. Great combination. I didn't do anything different with recipe, except left out the green peppers since my Hubby doesn't like them. Definitely high salt though, so cut back if you don't have a salty palette. For once he didn't have to ADD salt to his dinner. A keeper!