Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe came from a slow cooker recipe book that has yielded us many meals.
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup converted long grain rice (do not use instant rice)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 cup celery
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 pinch saffron
- In a small bowl combine the saffron and boiling water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and rice in the vegetable oil. Season with bay leaves, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the plum tomatoes and place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, sauté the chicken thighs until browned.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the rice layer in the stoneware.
- Add the saffron and water, and the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce heat to low for 7-9 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking add the frozen peas, carrots and celery and mix contents thoroughly.
Very good and filling dish which we enjoyed! Skipped the saffron and bell pepper and used a bit less veggies than suggested in the ingredients -- a great way to clean out the vegetable drawer though. Thanks for sharing!