I just came up with this. My DH & I had a wonderful oil based dipping sauce for bread at an Italian restaurant. I was shocked when DH tried it and like it. I was just thinking about that day and thought I can replicate that dipping sauce. This is what I came up with. I also tossed with bread and baked for croutons and breadcrumbs.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- If making for a dip you are done. Serve with a pasta dish and warm breadsticks.
- If making croutons heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut up bread into bite size pieces. Place bread and oil mixture in a sealable bag toss to coat.
- Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.
- If making bread crumbs complete steps for croutons and then place croutons in food processor and blend.
- If you feel the crumbs are too wet place on baking sheet and bake for another 5 minutes watching very closely. These will burn in the blink of an eye.
- Store in airtight container.
- I usually freeze in a storage bag until ready to use.
I used it as a dipping sauce for bread. I used homemade italian seasoning. And instead of salt, I used seasoning salt (no sodium). It was really good. Thanks Huskergirl. Made for the Babes of ZWT4
Great taste for dipping bread! For the Italian seasoning, I used basil, oregano, parsley and thyme. Made for ZWT4-Fancy Feinschmeckers!
I made this recipe planning on making croutons with it. My husband got a hold of my sourdough bread and the spice/oil mixture and managed to eat quite a bit of it! Luckily I was able to toast a few croutons. They turned out great!