Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are fantastic with chicken, pork, or seafood! It almost doesn't matter how the meat is cooked, what its accompanying dishes are, or how it's seasoned, these biscuits go with just about anything! They're light and fluffy, and taste wondermous! Substitute sugar for artificial sweetener if you're not sugar conscious, and white flour for whole wheat if you're not carb conscious. ;)
- 2 cups unbleached whole wheat flour, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, cold
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter and mayonnaise until pebbly.
- Slowly mix milk until everything follows, as you stir.
- Flour board, dump out carefully, and knead the dough until you have folded three to five times. Keep it minimal. Do not overwork the dough, or it will be tough. Do not under work the dough, or it will not rise well. Cut into any shape you desire. You're not limited to round biscuit cutters! There are thousands of cookie cutters which make nice novelty biscuits!
- Place cut biscuits on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden on top. I roll mine thin on purpose. The photo above is not an indication of a weak rise. ;).
A little too salty and strong flavor for my taste and that of my family.