Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a basic tomato sauce; use it anytime a tomato sauce is called for - in pasta sauces, soups, stews or casseroles.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, sugar, pepper & bay leaves in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat & boil gently, uncovered, until very thick, about 1 1/2 hours; stir frequently.
- Press through a food mill or coarse sieve to remove skins & seeds; add lemon juice & salt.
- Remove hot jars from the canning kettle & ladle sauce into jars leaving 1/2 inch of head space; remove any trapped air bubbles, readjust the head space, wipe rims & apply lids until finger tight.
- Transfer jars to the canner & set timer for 35 minutes when the water returns to a boil.
Good recipe - made it in the slow-cooker (crock pot for non-Brits!) as it saves constantly stirring. Didn't bother straining it, just blitzed it with a stick blender. Have bottled (canned!) it for later use. Many thanks.