2 hrs 15 mins
This is a basic tomato sauce; use it anytime a tomato sauce is called for - in pasta sauces, soups, stews or casseroles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, sugar, pepper & bay leaves in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat & boil gently, uncovered, until very thick, about 1 1/2 hours; stir frequently.
- 3Press through a food mill or coarse sieve to remove skins & seeds; add lemon juice & salt.
- 4Remove hot jars from the canning kettle & ladle sauce into jars leaving 1/2 inch of head space; remove any trapped air bubbles, readjust the head space, wipe rims & apply lids until finger tight.
- 5Transfer jars to the canner & set timer for 35 minutes when the water returns to a boil.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seasoned Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.3
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 319.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g