Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Add fresh herbs when you go to finish your sauce.
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 20 large tomatoes, peeled seeded and cored
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Saute onion, carrot, celery and peppers in olive oil until onions are limp and transparent.
- Add tomatoes to veg and cook for 15-20 min.
- Puree veg in a mill or processor.
- Add salt and cook uncovered for 1 hour, stirring often.
- Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space and process in a boiling water bath for 45 minutes.