Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home book.
- 8 ounces tempeh (fresh or defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Cut the tempeh into small cubes or strips and set aside.
- In a non reactive shallow bowl, stir together the marinade ingredients Add tempeh pieces and toss until the marinade is absorbed.
- In a heavy skillet, saute the tempeh in the oil on medium-high heat for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. If necessary, add more oil to prevent sticking.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
- + For Mexican-style tempeh, add 1/2 tsp of ground cumin and 1/2 tsp of dried oregano to the basic marinade.
- + For Italian-style tempeh, add 1/2 tsp dried basil to the marinade.
- + For Greek-style temph, add 1/2 tsp dried oregano and 1/2 tsp dried mint to the marinade.