Recipe by Manami
I love making these! They are a great treat! I have made these for parties, for get-to-gethers and just plain lunch for myself. The low-calorie version is to spray the pita with Non-stick spray and season with Mrs Dash and then toast. These are party fare! Why not serve a basketful of each flavor of these seasoned chips at the coming hoildays? ;) Originally found on Land O' Lakes web site but as usual, have tweaked it a bit. Updated on 09/21/06 forgot to mention to melt the butter, thank you gruntlady.
Top Review by Ginny Sue
So far I have tried the "Italian Variation" but will try the others in the future. Each pita wedge naturally split into a thick piece and a thin piece. I baked the thin pieces for 6 minutes on each side, and the thick pieces I had to turn over again and bake for another 6 minutes (total 18 minutes) to get them brown and crispy. I've bought commercial pita chips in the past and was extremely disappointed. These are so much better.
- 4 (6 inch) white pita breads or 4 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 (10 ounce) package dry ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or 2 teaspoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped nuts, preferably pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut pita into 6 wedges, separate each wedge in half. (48 wedges total).
- Stir together butter and seasoning for desired variation, in a large bowl.
- Add pita wedges; toss with seasoned butter until well coated.
- Place wedges, not overlapping on 15x10x1" jelly-roll pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Turn each wedge over, continue baking for 2 to 4 minutes longer or until golden brown & crispy.
- For Italian Variation; substitute 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram leaves, dried basil or oregano leaves & 1/4 teaspoon sage leaves.
- I don't know for how long these can be stored - they have never lasted long enough!
- I hope you use these with your favorite appetizer and enjoy them.