Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is called Causa A La Limena in Peru. Posted for ZWT7-Central and South America. Found on alleasyrecipes.com.
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded hot chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lb fresh yucca root, peeled, sliced crosswise and cut into small wedges
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked and cut into 4 rounds each
- 8 jumbo shrimp, raw in their shells
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut lengthwise into halves
- 16 pitted black olives
- 1⁄2 lb queso blanco, sliced 1/2-inch thick and cut into triangles about 2-inch long and 1-inch wide (mozzarella or munster can be subbed)
- Preheat the oven to 250*. Drop the potatoes into a large pot of lightly salted boiling water (enough to cover them) and boil them briskly until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the onions, lemon juice, fresh chili, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and oil, and beat them together with a whisk or a fork. Drain the potatoes and mash to a smooth puree with a fork, potato masher or electric mixer.
- Beat in the sauce, a Tblsp. at a time, and taste for seasoning. Mound the potatoes in the center of a large heatproof platter and cover loosely with foil. Keep the potatoes warm in the preheated oven.
- Into each of two 3 to 4 quart saucepans pour about 2 qts. of water. Bring to a boil and drop in the sweet potatoes and yucca. Boil briskly, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Then remove them from their pans with a slotted spoon and arrange them around the mashed potatoes. Cover the platter again and return it to the oven.
- In a heavy 3 quart saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Drop in the shrimp and cook them, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until they are firm and pink.
- Drain them and peel off the shells. Devein if desired.
- While shrimp cook, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil over high heat in a 4 quart saucepan. Drop in the corn and boil, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the corn is tender. Drain in a colander.
- Remove the platter from the oven and place the corn on it. Alternate the shrimp and cheese triangles in a circular deisign on top of the potatoes. Add the olives and eggs to the arrangement, and serve at once.