Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Taste of Home June/July 2006. I added more garlic and onion powder to ours to taste.
Make and share this Seasoned Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 slices bread, cubed (day old)
- In an ungreased 9 X 13 X 2 pan, combine all ingredients except bread.
- Place in a 300 degree oven until butter is completely melted.
- Remove from oven and stir to mix.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat well.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
I agree with a previous reviewer, why buy store made croutons again!!! I love the flavor of the mixture, although, I did leave out the basil and just used with the garlic & onion powders. I think next time I would make twice the amount of butter/oil mixture, as I want more of a coating on the cubes, but that is a personal (more fattening, lol) preference. Thanks so much for sharing a great recipe and a money saving recipe. Congrats again on your win in the Football Pool.
Nice croutons! I made these as directed but added more garlic powder - I love garlic-y croutons. Simple and good. Congrats again on your Football win, Sherrybeth!
These are so much better than the hard little croutons you buy at the store. I loved the seasoning on these, and the crispiness was just right. They were crispy without being dried out and hard. It's a great way to use up bread that has been sitting around for a few days. I will never buy croutons at the store again. Thanks for a great recipe, Sherrybeth.