Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from "My Cooking" West-African Cookbook by Dokpe Lillian Ogunsanya. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2008.
- 1 lb fresh black-eyed peas (frozen will also work)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pinch curry powder
- water (to cover peas)
- Boil black-eyed peas in plenty of water on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Salt to taste.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes, until peas are tender.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, saute onion for 3 minutes, and add tomatoes, green pepper, curry and salt.
- Cook 8 minutes and add drained, cooked, black-eyed peas.
- Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. This dish is typically served with Dodo (fried plantain).
very nice fast recipe. I made this for DH who enjoys the curry flavor and likes black beans. Very diff style than how I usually make them. Thank you made for ZWT 7 for Saucy Silverados.
I enjoyed this and loved the taste of the curry powder, I even added extra! Thanks PanNan! Made for ZWT4-Fancy Feinschmeckers!