Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was my Grandma Lorraine Stromgren's. My mom and her brothers grew up having this during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our family still makes it for those occasions. A family favorite!
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Saute the chopped onion and green pepper in the 2 tablespoons of butter until golden.
- Blend in 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard, and the dash of pepper.
- Cook until bubbly, then remove from heat.
- Gradually add the 3/4 cup of milk.
- Bring it to a boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups kernel corn and 1 slighty beaten egg.
- Pour into a 1 quart baking dish.
- Top with buttered crumbs (for the crumbs, you can use Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter).
- Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.