Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This sauce is loaded.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 -2 cup mushroom
- Cook beef and next 5 vegetables until the meat is brown. Stir a lot. Drain any fat off.
- Throw everything into a slow cooker and cook 4-6 hours over low heat Serve over noodles.
- Optional: Italian tomatoes and ¼ cup wine.
This has lots of good for you stuff in it. However, it came out way too thick for our liking (I even added 16 oz. of tomato sauce after a few hours) and the cloves seem to take over the dish. Or is it a combination of flavors? I might try this again using my own seasonings (from my recipe) and see how it turns out. Also, I didn't use the mushrooms as I'm the only one who eats them.
Good old fashioned, sweet and rich homemade spaghetti sauce: very, very thick. Passed the Dh test and I'm delighted to have the extra in the freezer for the next I'm-too-tired-to-cook evening. Thanks, Hill Family.