Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've had this recipe forever; it was an instant hit the first time I made it, and now my daughter makes it for her family. If you are not a salmon fan, I imagine you could substitute tuna----but it is so tasty with the salmon, I've never had to alter it.It is great for picnics or family gatherings.
- 2 cups uncooked shell pasta (small)
- 1⁄4 cup French dressing (Catalina is best)
- 7 -8 ounces canned salmon
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup chopped green onion (your preference)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Add Catalina dressing while still hot and toss. Chill.
- Drain and flake salmon.
- Add flaked salmon, celery, relish, eggs, green onion, parsley, seasonings and mayonnaise to macaroni. Toss all together lightly.
- Chill at least 2 hours to marry the flavors.
- Serve as a side dish or on lettuce leaves with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers as a meal.
With daytime temperatures of 94 and a heat index of 104, I decided last night was a perfect time to try this recipe ! I made it as directed, except for the eggs, which I quartered and served with the salad and I added a couple of splashes of Frank's Red Hot sauce to the mixture. It was delicious - DH said several times how good it was and went back for seconds ! This is a definite keeper!
Made this recipe as given (although I was generous with the pickle relish) & was very pleased with the results! I'm not usually big on canned salmon, but do have a few recipes that use it, & this one will definitely be added to those as a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef event]
This is a great salmon psta slad and deserves to be made by more chefs. It's a little sweet but that can be easily counteracted with some Tabasco or other hot sauce if you prefer. This is a great summer dinner. Serve it over greens with a little extra dressing and you've got a complete dinner.