Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Gather a limit of fresh razor clams off the beach during a minus tide, clean them, and 20 minutes later, it's chowder time! Subtracting the cream and bacon means fewer calories and it let's the flavor of the fresh razors shine through...
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup diced red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 small bay leaf
- 10 ounces clams
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes with juice, drain and reserve juices
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice cocktail
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Saute diced onions, thyme, and red pepper flakes in extra virgin olive oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about four minutes. Add the potatoes, along with the water, garlic, bay leaf and reserved juices from the clams and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the drained tomatoes and fresh razor clams, vegetable cocktail juice and Worcestershire sauce; simmer 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste, then the lemon juice. Serve right away!