Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A lovely variation of Paella from the National Barley Foods Council.
- 8 ounces shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 ounces scallops (cut in quarters or halves, if large)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Place first three ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and red pepper sauce.
- Pour over seafood and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate while cooking barley.
- To cook barley: spray a large deep skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add vegetables; sauté until onion is translucent and they are all tender.
- Add barley and clam nectar and bring up to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli and seafood with marinade.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until barley is tender and seafood is cooked.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.