Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Feel free to use all oyster or all clam in this chower. Land-O-Lakes Cookbook
Make and share this Seashore Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups red potatoes, 1/2in cubes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can oysters, drained, rinsed
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can clams, drained, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons basil leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- in 3-qt saucepan cook bacon over medium heat for 5 minutes, add potatoes, onions and celery, continue cooking stirring often until potatoes are tender about 15 to 20 minutes. remove from pan and set aside.
- in same pan melt butter, stir in flour until smooth and bubbly.
- add potato mixture and remaining ingredients except parsley.
- cook over medium heat, stirring often for 10 to 15 minutes.
- stir in parsley and serve.
It's much lighter than the usual Clam Chowder that others make. I usually double the recipe with an additional can of clams. I also don't drain the clam juice; just throw the entire can in. It's a great recipe to make for a crowd!