Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
One of my favorites!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 slices bacon, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup celery & leaves, chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Mix all of the ingredients except the stuffing together.
- Spread 2/3rds of the hamburger mixture into an ungreased loaf pan (9x5x3-inch).
- Pressing the mixture up the sides of the pan to within 3/4 inch of the top.
- Spoon the stuffing onto the mixture in the pan and then top with the remaining hamburger mixture covering the stuffing completely.
- Bake in the oven for one hour and 10 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into thick slices.
- Serve on a platter.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and the celery and cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.