Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my all time favorites for years.
- 1 (16 ounce) elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, cut up, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, cut butter into small pieces; place in bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Beat egg and milk with wire whisk until well blended; set aside.
- Drain macaroni, spoon half of the macaroni over butter in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with one cup EACH of the velveeta and cheddar cheese.
- Add half of the egg mixture.
- Repeat layers of macaroni, velveeta, cheddar cheese and egg mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir until well blended.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes or macaroni mixture is until heated through and top is golden brown.
Although I made this for a house-bound neighbor couple for whom I cook quite often (& they do love mac & cheese!), I kept a couple of servings for the 2 of us right here at home! Simple to make the recipe for this great comfort food & it was most appreciated all 'round! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement recipe tag]