Recipe by the-cat-did-it
Our best attempt to replicate some great seared tuna we found in downtown Portland one evening. The sauce is heaven.
- 1 lb tuna (ahi or albacore)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce (or soyabi)
- 1⁄4 cup pickled ginger
- 1 dash wasabi paste
- 1⁄8 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim tuna to be clean with no straggler pieces hanging loose. Salt and pepper all sides. rub garlic and onion on all sides.
- Mix soy sauce and soyabi sauce. Add wasabi paste to taste. Finely chop half of pickled ginger, add to sauce.
- Heat frypan till water drops sizzle.
- Add small amount of oil to pan.
- Add tuna to pan pouring small amount of sauce around tuna.
- Sear no more than 30 to 45 seconds per side of tuna. Just long enough to brown thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and slice in 1/4" thin slices with a very sharp knife.
- Cool thouroughly for best flavor. Serve with reserved ginger and wasabi paste along with remainder of sauce and sesame seeds.