Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Seared Ahi served with Italian vegetables makes an easy and fresh tasting meal. Add fresh bread and wine if you like! Note, either fresh or canned tomatoes can be used.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs albacore tuna, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon marjoram, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped, seeded, and peeled if you like
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup other dark olive, pitted if you like
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)
- minced fresh basil
- minced of fresh mint
- Heat the garlic in the oil over low heat until it turns pale gold, about 15 minutes. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
- Increase the heat to med-high and add the red onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the tuna strips. Increase the heat to high and quickly sear the fish on all sides, while seasoning it with the basil, oregano, and mint. Cook until the fish is done to your liking, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove fish to a hot platter or warm oven.
- Return the garlic to the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes. Cook for just a minute, stirring occasionally. Spoon over fish.
- Garnish with the remaining basil and mint.
This was a healthy, flavorful dish that we enjoyed for dinner last night. We enjoyed all of the fresh ingredients, including tomatoes. We found that the herbs that coated the tuna were plenty and that there was no need to garnish with extra herbs. That would have been too much, in our opinion. We served with Recipe #434247 as a side, which was a nice accompaniment. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT 7.