Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
A quick tuna meal with a difference. Tuna is meaty, and the citrus sauce goes well with it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tuna steaks, about 6 oz each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh arugula (or more)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 lemon zest, only grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 2 oranges, in segments (remove white pith)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 inch dried chilies, crumbled or 1 small chili pepper, chopped, seeds removed
- Mix together the ingredients from the soy sauce down to the chilli pepper, stir well, and stand for a while for flavours to mix.
- Put in a suitable container in a warming oven to just warm through.
- Brush the tuna steaks with the olive oil and just sear quickly on both sides in a hot griddle pan over very high heat for rare meat -- or cook to your liking. Use salt to taste.
- Arrange the arugula on 4 plates, top each with a tuna steak, and drizzle the citrus sauce with orange segments over each serving.
- Serve immediately -- but can be served cold.
We enjoyed this meal last night thanks to ZWT7 and the Pacific! The arugula is a must - as it brings added flavor to the dish (hubby doesn't like it so I used an arugula blend on his and he didn't complain). I would caution to use low sodium soy for sure. And then next time I will leave the oranges out of the marinade and just put them on top for 2 reasons. . .#1 because they soaked up all the salt from the soy and lost that wonderful sweetness that complemented the dish so well and #2 they would be much prettier orange than brown! I did add some edamame and some slivers of red bell pepper for a little more color. Also of note, I didn't add the hot pepper (hubby doesn't care for hot stuff) but found that my ginger gave the dressing a good heat and zing itself. Overall, we REALLY enjoyed this dish!
This was so good. The citrus mixed with soy was a great combination. I had never cooked Tuna before, what a great recipe to start off with. Made for ZWT Shady ladies.