From EatingWell.com Steaks are often served with hearty accompaniments like mashed potatoes, which can make the whole meal seem heavy. Here we lighten things up by topping pan-seared steaks with a raw slaw dressed with pungent horseradish vinaigrette. We use shredded beets, turnips, and carrots, but feel free to change up the combination of vegetables based on what you're pulling from the garden. Note: White balsamic vinegar is unaged balsamic made from Italian white wine grapes and grape musts (unfermented crushed grapes). It's milder in flavor than aged, dark-colored balsamic vinegar. Look for it near other vinegars in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty food shops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups shredded peeled root vegetables (such as beets, carrots, celeriac or turnips)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb slice steak, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1/4 cup regular balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1Toss root vegetables, 2 teaspoons oil, 2 tablespoons dill, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- 2Sprinkle steaks with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 3Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook, turning once and adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 5Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the steaks to a clean plate to rest.
- 6Add water, vinegar and horseradish to taste to the pan; scrape up any browned bits. Stir any accumulated juice from the steaks into the pan sauce.
- 7Drizzle half the sauce (about 1/4 cup) over the vegetable slaw and toss to coat.
- 8Stir sour cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon dill into the sauce remaining in the pan.
- 9To serve, divide the slaw and steaks among 4 plates and drizzle with the pan sauce.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Strip Steaks With Horseradish-Root Vegetable Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.7
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 91.0 mg
- Sodium 422.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white balsamic vinegar