Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
From EatingWell.com Steaks are often served with hearty accompaniments like mashed potatoes, which can make the whole meal seem heavy. Here we lighten things up by topping pan-seared steaks with a raw slaw dressed with pungent horseradish vinaigrette. We use shredded beets, turnips, and carrots, but feel free to change up the combination of vegetables based on what you're pulling from the garden. Note: White balsamic vinegar is unaged balsamic made from Italian white wine grapes and grape musts (unfermented crushed grapes). It's milder in flavor than aged, dark-colored balsamic vinegar. Look for it near other vinegars in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty food shops.
- 3 cups shredded peeled root vegetables (such as beets, carrots, celeriac or turnips)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb slice steak, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup white balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup regular balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- Toss root vegetables, 2 teaspoons oil, 2 tablespoons dill, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Sprinkle steaks with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the steaks and cook, turning once and adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the steaks to a clean plate to rest.
- Add water, vinegar and horseradish to taste to the pan; scrape up any browned bits. Stir any accumulated juice from the steaks into the pan sauce.
- Drizzle half the sauce (about 1/4 cup) over the vegetable slaw and toss to coat.
- Stir sour cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon dill into the sauce remaining in the pan.
- To serve, divide the slaw and steaks among 4 plates and drizzle with the pan sauce.