1/1 Photo of Seared Steak, Pepper & Onion Fajitas (from Fine Cooking)
Tracy K's Note:
Great weeknight recipe! Goes together quickly and is easy and delicious. I love the crust my cast-iron skillet provides. Sometimes I use Penzey's Southwest seaoning in place of the cumin mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (9 ounce) new york strip steaks, 1 inch thick
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced ("or" 1/2 small red bell pepper and 1/2 small yellow bell pepper)
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapenos, cored and seeded first
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Combine the salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl.
- 2Rub the steak with the seasoning on both sides.
- 3Heat the oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- 4Put the steak in the hot pan and sear for 3 minutes.
- 5Turn the steak and cook for another 2 minutes (it will be very rare but will cook more later on).
- 6Take the skillet off the heat, transfer the steak to a cutting board, and cover loosely with foil.
- 7Return the skillet to medium heat.
- 8Add the pepper and onion slices and sauté, stirring frequently, until soft, about 8 min.
- 9Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 1 min.
- 10Slide the skillet off the heat and stir in the lime juice, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
- 11Cover to keep warm.
- 12Trim the fat from the side of the steak and cut the steak into thin (1/8- to 1/4-inch) slices.
- 13Add the slices to the skillet along with any accumulated juices.
- 14Toss until well blended.
- 15Stir in the chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- 16Serve immediately with warm flour tortillas, sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Steak, Pepper & Onion Fajitas (from Fine Cooking)
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.7
- Calories from Fat 447
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 86.7 mg
- Sodium 1051.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 31.8 g