Seared Steak in Madeira Currant Sauce
- Mix the dry ingredients to make the seasoned flour.
- Sprinkle it over the meat, then press it into the steaks by pounding them lightly with a meat hammer.
- In a griddle have the butter and oil sizzling at medium high heat.
- Sear the first side of the meat until crusty brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and cook the second side the same way (you'll know that you've got the method right if the meat browns on both sides while the middle stays rare; if your steaks stay grey on the outside you may have put them on before the oil/butter was hot enough or you may have crowded too many into a small ).
- Transfer the steaks to a warm platter.
- Add the wine and jelly to the pan and stir to mix, making sure to get up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Pour the sauce into a small dish and serve immediately with the steaks and baked or boiled potatoes.