Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Pairing the delicate sweetness of sea scallops and peas this is a meaty, substantial meal accompanied by a rich white wine sauce studded with chopped chives.From the May 2007 issue of Gourmet.
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 3⁄4 lb large scallop, about 15, tough ligament removed from side of each if attached, halved horizontally
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until almost al dente, about 5 minutes, then stir in peas and cook until noodles are al dente, about 2 minutes more.
- Drain in a colander, then transfer to a platter and keep warm,loosely covered with foil.
- While noodles cook, pat scallops dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a 12 inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then add scallops.
- Increase heat to high and sear scallops, turning over once, until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 minutes total.
- Transfer to platter with noodles and keep covered.
- Add wine to skillet, and deglaze by boiling, stirring, and scraping up any brown bits, 1 minute.
- Stir in water and cream and boil until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in chives and pour sauce over noodles and scallops.
- Serve immediately.