Recipe by Andrew Mollmann
Perfect summer recipe. I used corn from a local farm and it was great! I used this recipe as a start but didn't really follow it to a T: http://atthehotplate.blogspot.com/2009/07/sitting-on-train-heading-back-to.html I recommend thawing the scallops in the refrigerator or on the counter for best results. Read through the directions before starting.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this tonight for dinner and all I can say is WOW!!!! Followed the recipe except for cutting in in half and WOW!!!! Definately goinging into my Favorites of 2010. Thank you for a great recipe....Made for SPRING PAC 2010.
- 1 lb sea scallops (about 12)
- 4 ounces bacon (or Pancetta)
- 5 ears corn
- 5 scallions
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I used equal parts rice wine and rice vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Make dressing by putting all ingredients into food processor and blitzing until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make sure scallops are dried and thawed.
- Chop scallions (whites and greens) and chives and place in large serving bowl, set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until all fat is rendered, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside for later.
- Pour off bacon fat into heat proof container for later use.
- While fat is rendering, shuck corn, rub with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill for about 4 minutes per side, until done. About 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Cook scallops by adding half of the bacon drippings to skillet and heating until almost smoking. Add half of the scallops and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until browned. Do not overcook.
- Remove cooked scallops to plate and keep warm. Cook remaining scallops via the same method, using the second half of the bacon fat.
- While the scallops are cooking, chop up bacon into small pieces and add to bowl with chopped scallions and chives.
- When the corn is done, remove from grill, cut kernels off the cob and add to bowl containing the bacon, scallions and chives.
- Serve salad by placing 3-4 scallops on top of 4 equal portions of the corn salad. Don't forget the dressing!