A rich and gourmet dish without needing a gourmet chef! A delicious recipe from Best of Bridge that makes about 16 scallops or shrimp. This risotto is made with orzo, a small rice-shaped pasta. Serve with asparagus for a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 1 2⁄3 cups orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb large scallops (from Nova Scotia if you can) or 3⁄4 lb large shrimp
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions and set aside.
- In large heavy pot, heat oil and saute mushrooms, onion, sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper until soft.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir in orzo, parmesan and parsley. Add cream and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is creamy but not runny, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in very hot pan. Season scallops or shrimp with salt and pepper. For scallops: sear until brown on outside but opaque in the middle. For shrimp: sear until just pink and cooked through.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over risotto and top with scallops or shrimp.