Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw this on Sara's Secrets and couldn't wait to try it! The sauce brings out the sweetness in the fish. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed plus
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on (center cut)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Stir together balsamic vinegar, water, lemon juice, and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat, not smoking. Increase heat to high, add salmon skin side up, and sear until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- Turn fish over and sear until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer salmon to plates and carefully add vinegar mixture to skillet (liquid will bubble vigorously and steam).
- Simmer, stirring, until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon glaze over salmon.
- Serve and enjoy!
The glaze is amazing! I added about 1/8 tsp ginger and maybe 1/8 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (7/8 c. balsamic vinegar) to give it a little Asian flavor. I also added a little cornstarch, I wasn't sure how long it would take and all the rest of the food was waiting. I use stainless steel pans and high heat was way too hot...although, I wanted the salmon cooked through not seared, which is what the recipe is for. So very good and this glaze is going to be a new favorite! Thanks Sharon!
Prepared this last night. Very good recipe. I had no problem with thickening the glaze. Patience snd allowing it to reduce
I keep reading that everyone is having a hard time with the glaze thickening. I usually make glaze and store it for when I need it. It takes a good 45 minutes to thicken balsamic vinegar into a glaze. Just pour any cheap bottle of balsamic vinegar into a stainless steel pot. Simmer it on low heat and watch it because the last few minutes is where it can burn. Just Slowly simmer it until it coats the spoon. Cool, then pour into a bottle and use whenever you need it. It is delicious!!!!! You don't have to add anything to it because it will be very sweet. Some of my friends add fresh basil to their for a little extra taste. I did it one with orange peels. That was really good.