Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my favorite way to cook a rump roast and many years ago, our local butcher told me how to fix this. In my opinion, a rump roast is the very best cut for a roast and it has never failed me! I like to sear it first to seal in the juices.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Put rump roast into large roasting pan and sear each side of roast for about 15 minutes until dark brown.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to pan.
- Cover with foil, reduce heat to 325 degrees and cook approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours (depending on the size of your roast), OR until fork goes easily into meat.
- Remove roast from pan and let it "rest" for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the most wonderful gravy from all of the drippings.
This was so easy and So good! We loved the gravy, too. I did sear the roast on top of the stove in a bit of butter but otherwise followed recipe. Thanks, Irish Rose!!