Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Recipe by Ian Knauer. August 2010 Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Seared Rib-Eye Steak With Tomato-Caper Relish recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb orange and yellow vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped pimento stuffed olives
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno chiles
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 rib eye steaks (each about 1 pound, 1 1/2-inch-thick )
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and garlic on work surface. Using flat side of knife blade, smash garlic and salt together until paste forms. Transfer garlic paste to medium bowl. Add orange and yellow tomatoes, olives, cilantro, 3 tablespoons olive oil, capers, lime juice, chopped jalapeño chiles, and dried oregano; toss relish to blend well. Season relish to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with cumin, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Add steaks. Sear steaks until browned and cooked to medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice steaks crosswise. Overlap slices on plates. Serve with relish.