Recipe by MarielC
From the NY Times, here for safekeeping and to try.
Top Review by MD Meg
I too read this in the NY Times and tried it. I used regular crackers and it was excellent. Don't let the anchovies put you off. I also served it over risotto as a side dish for steak and it was a major hit. A nice dry red wine tops it off. MD Meg
- 1 bunch radish
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 8 thin slices crusty bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove leaves and stems from radishes; trim the tails. Cut larger radishes lengthwise into sixths and smaller radishes lengthwise into quarters.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon oil, radishes in a single layer (do not crowd) and salt and pepper. Cook radishes, without moving them, until they are lightly colored on undersides, about 3 minutes. Shake pan and continue cooking until tender, about 3 more minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in anchovies, garlic, red pepper and remaining oil. Reduce heat and simmer about 4 minutes.
- Brush each slice of toast with sauce and top with several radish wedges. Spoon additional sauce on top, sprinkle with parsley and serve.