Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Seared Marinated Breast of Chicken with Tomato and Basil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs vine-ripened plum tomatoes, cored, peeled and seeded, juice reserved
- 1 pinch serrano pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, finely shredded
- Cut each chicken breast in half.
- Pound pieces lightly to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
- Stir the olive oil, rosemary, sage, and garlic cloves together in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat well.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss well again.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the chicken for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Remove the chicken to room temperature about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Make the sauce. In a medium-size saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, until it is light brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the tomatoes and their reserved juice.
- Return to the heat.
- Stir in the peperoncino, season with salt.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the basil.
- Heat one or two large, nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add as many of the chicken pieces as will fit in a single layer.
- Cook until well browned on the underside, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and cook until the second side is browned and no trace of pink remains in the center, 1 to 2 minutes.
- If necessary, keep the first batch of chicken warm on a baking sheet in an oven turned to the lowest setting, and cook the remaining chicken in batches.
- Divide the chicken pieces among serving plates, overlapping them in a circular pattern in the center of the plates.
- Spoon the sauce into the center of each circle, drizzling some of it over the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded basil and serve.