1 hr 5 mins
In Italian it's Petto di Pollo Marinato e Saltato Con Pomodoro e Basilico! Simple but full of flavor, this dish is a home cook's dream! The chicken can marinate overnight and the sauce can be made early in the day. Serve over pasta for a less formal meal, or at room temperature for an easy summer lunch! Delicious! (Note: cook time does not reflect marinating time of at least 8 hours). From Lidia Bastianich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Marinade and Chicken
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, split and trimmed
- 1To make the marinade, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Slice the chicken breasts on the diagonal into thirds. Using a large knife or cleaver, lightly pound each piece to flatten slightly. Place in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- 3To make the sauce, in a medium-sized saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, the red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the basil leaves. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- 4Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Drain the chicken, discarding the marinade. Add the chicken to the hot pan, without crowding, and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through. (Cook the chicken in batches or in 2 pans if necessary.) Transfer to a large, warm serving platter.
- 5Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the tomato sauce and pour over the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining basil over the top and serve.
- 6Note: Cook time does not reflect marinating time of at least 8 hours.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Italian Marinated Breast of Chicken With Tomato and Basil
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.0
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 87.7 mg
- Sodium 103.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 36.1 g