Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
this recipe comes from food and wine, and is company-worthy. and so easy to prepare.
- 3⁄4 cup ruby port
- 2 ounces dried figs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig rosemary
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 boneless duck breasts
- in a saucepan combine port, figs, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, rosemary, and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- stir in cranberries and sugar, cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes until berries are soft.
- remove rosemary, set aside.
- score the fat on the duck breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- heat a large heavy skillet, add the breasts fat side down and cook 12-15 minutes until browned and fat is rendered.
- discard fat.
- turn breasts over and cook for 8 minutes more for medium.
- transfer to a cutting board and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- thinly slice crosswise, remove excess fat, serve with warm chutney.