1/1 Photo of Seared Ahi Tuna With Lavender-Pepper Crust
Recipe has been adapted from From The Earth To The Table - John's Wine Country Cuisine, by John Ash with Sid Goldstein, published by Dutton Book, 1995. John Ash says, "This makes an elegant first course. The crust is especially intriguing because of the use of lavender."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs center-cut fresh ahi tuna or inch thick sushi quality tuna steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried lavender flowers (Available in health food stores or use your home-dried flowers)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups savory mixed fresh greens (and herbs)
MUSTARD SEED DRESSING
- 1If using the center-cut ahi tuna, trim and cut the tuna into a block approximately 2 inches across; then cut into 1-inch steaks.
- 2Crush the salt, peppercorns, fennel seeds, and lavender with a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin.
- 3Lightly oil the tuna with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil; evenly coat the tuna with the lavender-pepper mixture, patting off any excess.
- 4In a heavy bottomed sauté pan or a cast-iron pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 5Increase the heat to high and place the tuna in the pan.
- 6Sear for 1 minutes, then turn over carefully, reducing the heat to medium.
- 7Sear the other side for 1 more minutes until medium rare.
- 8Remove from heat and immediately refrigerate the tuna for at least 1 hour but no more than 3 hours.
- 9To serve, arrange the greens on chilled individual serving plates.
- 10Drizzle with Mustard Seed Dressing.
- 11Thinly slice the tuna and arrange on top of the dressed greens.
- 12For the mustard seed dressing:.
- 13Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 14Place mustard seeds in a baking pan.
- 15Place in oven and roast for a couple of minutes (watch carefully so the seeds don't burn).
- 16Remove from oven and let cool.
- 17Whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Ahi Tuna With Lavender-Pepper Crust
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.1
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 335.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 20.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried lavender flowers
seasoned rice vinegar