1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I wanted a recipe that was similar to the ones I have had a restaurant in the past. I searched the site and found some good sauces for seared ahi- but just not what I was looking for. I found one a lot like I was looking for at Simple Recipes- I tweeked it a bit and I'm posting it here for safe keeping because it was so yummy!! Mind you- it was fresh, wild caught ahi- which can make a difference. I'll let you know how it goes with frozen fish, should I break down and try it (but with two avid ocean fisherman in the neighborhood hood, it will be a desperate move!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) ahi tuna steaks (3/4 of an inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (a few slices reserved for garnish)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1Mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, green onion and lime juice in a non metal bowl. Add ahi and coat , cover tightly, and refrigerate for about an hour.
- 2Toast the sesame seeds in a pan until light brown (I prefer a blend of white and black sesame seeds- the black ones are hard to find, try an asian market). Remove seeds and allow to cool on a flat plate (you will use this plate to dredge the tuna in)- add cracked pepper.
- 3Add olive oil to a skillet and allow it to get HOT.
- 4Dredge the ahi in the sesame seeds and pepper to coat and add to the hot pan.
- 5Cook only two or three minutes on each side so that the ahi is seared on the outside and rare on the inside.
- 6Serve with white rice and green beans that have been either roasted or cooked and drizzled with sesame oil. Sprinkle any extra sesame seeds over the top.
- 7garnish with remaining green onion and ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Ahi Marinade
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.4
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 64.6 mg
- Sodium 1074.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 43.4 g